Ultimate Graphics
March 19, 2024, 03:09:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Arcade Recommended Sites Staff List Login Register  

Quickmask Tutorial

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quickmask Tutorial  (Read 4654 times)
deathwilldie
Administrator
Elite Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:41:51 pm »

This tutorial shows how you can do vignette effects using a feature of GIMP called QuickMask. QuickMask is a convenient way to modify selections using pixel-changing tools such as the paintbrush, eraser, or any plug-in filter. It lets you make very precise adjustments to your selections. This tutorial doesn't use QuickMask for complex masking; it's intended to show how you can use it to create quick and easy vignette effects.

Step 1

For your first step, load up an image. Any image will do. GIMP 1.1.7, a development version of GIMP, introduced QuickMask. The QuickMask control button is located at the lower-left side of the image.

Step 2

First, make a rectangular selection around the edge of the image. Then click on the red-bordered QuickMask icon in the lower-left corner of your image.

Step 3

After you click the red QuickMask button, a translucent red mask appears around your selection. This red mask represents the outside of your selection. When you click the dashed QuickMask button to go back into normal selection mode, anything red will not be selected, and anything clear will be. So, let's start playing with this mask. First, right click on the image and select <Image> Filters -> Distorts -> Waves from the menu. Apply the filter, and watch what happens to the mask.

Step 4

The mask gets all wavy. Let's add one more effect: <Image> Filters -> Blur -> Gaussian Blur (RLE).

Step 5

Now that there is a soft edge on the mask, click the dashed QuickMask button to convert the mask back into a selection.

Step 6

See how the selection follows the mask? This is a powerful feature of QuickMask. You can use it to modify any existing selection, and you can even use it to create new selections. Our last step is to use <Image> Select -> Invert and <Image> Edit -> Fill with BG Color. The result, a soft white fade into the background, is shown in the final step.

Final

And there you have it. Some more examples are listed below. Happy GIMPing!

Examples

The above image used <Image> Filters -> Noise -> Spread, with horizontal and vertical settings at 11, to get the effect.

I used some blurring and the <Image> Filters -> Distorts -> Newsprint plugin to get this effect.

As in the tutorial, this one used Waves, but instead of blurring, I used <Image> Filters -> Blur -> Pixelize instead.

The Original Tutorial can be found Here!
Report Spam   Logged

Newest Sig:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

(rawr)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 09:40:33 am »

Umm Do U have The Softe Ware For that GIMP Thingy?
Report Spam   Logged
V.JR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 03:48:53 pm »

That looks pretty cool I have GIMP to so ill try it out
Report Spam   Logged

deathwilldie
Administrator
Elite Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 04:50:34 pm »

Umm Do U have The Softe Ware For that GIMP Thingy?
Yea I do have it.  I have tried this but I didn't know how to do everything on it.  But now I do.  I just don't feel like trying it.
Report Spam   Logged

Newest Sig:

JCL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 09:58:17 am »

Awesome tutorial! I just have to wait to get gimp!
Report Spam   Logged
Omikron 9861
Administrator
Elite Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:44:33 am »

I just found out that Photoshop too has quickmask--- that's sooooooo cool! I am using it to fade out the brush strokes that are on top of the image.  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

deathwilldie
Administrator
Elite Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 05:13:49 pm »

They do?  How did you find this out?
Report Spam   Logged

Newest Sig:

Omikron 9861
Administrator
Elite Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:35:57 am »

You use this weird button.

I found out while reading a tut on Celestial Star.
Report Spam   Logged

deathwilldie
Administrator
Elite Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 03:38:48 pm »

So thats what that button does.
Report Spam   Logged

Newest Sig:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: